Observatory History, 1986-87, 1989, 2012 | University of Illinois Archives
Series Number: 15/3/12
Acquired: 11/16/1987; 6/1/2012
Volume: 0.2 cubic feet
Available for use at:
|19 Library, 1408 W. Gregory Drive||1-|
Description: A history of "The Astronomical Observatory of the University of Illinois" by Michael T. Svec, describing the development of astronomy; construction of observatories; purchase and development of telescopes, photometers and related equipment; faculty research of George W. Myers, Joel Stebbins, Jakob Kunz, Robert H. Baker, George C. McVittie and others; and the nomination and listing of the observatory on the National Register of Historic Sites (1986), Astronomy and Astrophysics, A National Historic Landmark Theme Study (Department of the Interior, National Park Service, Washington, DC, 1989), of which the University of Illinois Section was based on Michael Svec's work, and Univeristy of Illinois Astronomical Observatory: Inventory and Description of Equipment (2012), and ARCH 419 class report on the history of the observatory on CD (2012).