History, 1959 | University of Illinois Archives
Series Number: 15/15/810
Volume: 0.1 cubic feet
Available for use at:
|Room 146 Main Library, Prior Request Preferred||1-|
Description: A Short History of the Department of Bacteriology prepared when the department was reorganized, its name changed to Microbiology and it moved to Burrill Hall. In eight pages, work on microbiology is traced from Thomas J. Burrill's arrival in 1868, to his courses in "microscopy and fungology" (1876) and bacteriology (1891) and the beginning of graduate work (1896). It covers work by Otto Rahn, the establishment of the department of bacteriology (1921), curricular development and staff appointments.