Irene Hope Berkley Mapes Family Papers and 1812-era clarinet, ca. 1812 and ca. 1954-1972 | The Sousa Archives and Center for American Music
By Elizabeth Surles[Printer Friendly] | [Contact us about this collection]
Primary Creator: Mapes, Irene Hope Berkley
Extent: 0.15 cubic feet
Arrangement: The collection is arranged into one series. Series 1: Family papers, ca. 1954-1972, and 1812-era clarinet.
Date Acquired: 09/10/2010. More info below under Accruals.
Consists of correspondence, family group sheets, and reports related to the genealogy of the Berkley and Richardson families as well as one 1812-era clarinet.
Irene Hope Berkley Mapes-Hay was born in Ogden, Illinois on September 11, 1902. She remained in Ogden until her death on October 16, 1984. Mapes was the daughter of Herbert Kelly and Mary Elizabeth Duggins Berkley. Mapes married Lester T. Mapes in 1923, and after his death in 1973, she married John Hay in 1980. Mapes had two children, Mary Ella Roderick and Lester Mapes Jr. Mrs. Mapes-Hay was an organist and grade school teacher. Her extensive genealogical research provides information about the owner, William Harvey Richardson (1790-1853), of the 1812-era clarinet in the Mapes Collection.
Acquisition Method: The papers and 1812-era clarinet were donated to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign by Mrs. Mary Ella Roderick, her brother Lester Mapes Jr., and her sons, Marc and David Roderick, on September 9, 2010.
Processing Information: Family papers and 1812-era clarinet processed in 2010.
Browse by Box:
[Item 1: Clarinet in A, ca. 1812],
- Item 1: Clarinet in A, ca. 1812
- American-made clarinet owned by William Harvey Richardson (1790-1853). Note: mouthpiece is not original to the clarinet.
- Accession number: 2010.1209124.001 (A-D)
- Material composition: Rosewood, ivory, brass, and (most likely) black walnut mouthpiece.
- Physical condition: Good, except for a crack extending along the length of the mouthpiece.
- Location: Cabinet 1, drawer 2