By Tracy Parish, Adriana Cuervo, Kelly A. Carlson, and William Fisher[Printer Friendly] | [Contact us about this collection]
Primary Creator: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. University Bands
Extent: 103.0 cubic feet
Arrangement: Arranged by type of material.
Date Acquired: 09/16/2004. More info below under Accruals.
Includes musical instruments, band uniforms, photographs, music, newsclippings, audiovisual recordings, concert programs, and administrative records that document the University of Illinois Bands Department since its creation in 1905. The 1982 Chief Illiniwek Regalia was deaccessioned in 2009. The three boxes of administrative records include band conference and clinic programs, festival adjudications, Illinois commencement programs and band concerts, Marching Illini programs, ISYM programs, and WILL Radio broadcasts that were managed by the Assistant Directors of Bands between 1956 and 1974, including Eldon Oyen who joined the University Bands staff in 1969.
The University of Illinois Military Band was established in 1870 for the purpose of providing music for functions within the military department of the Illinois Industrial University. From 1868 to 1894, the band was administered by student leaders and from 1895 to 1904 was led by various university faculty members. From 1905 to 1948, Albert Austin Harding led the university band program during which time he brought it to a position of national prominence. Subsequent directors of the Band Department include Mark H. Hindsley (1948-1970), Dr. Harry Begian (1970-1984) and the current director James F. Keene. The Band Department is currently a unit of the University of Illinois School of Music, which is in turn a unit of the College of Fine and Applied Arts. Ensembles under the administration of the Band Department include the UI Wind Symphony, two symphonic bands, three concert bands, a British Brass Band, Clarinet Choir, the UI Basketball Band, the Orange & Blues and the Marching Illini.
The 1982 Fools Crow Chief Illiniwek Regalia was deaccessioned on October 2, 2009 by directive of the Chancellor's Office. The regalia was returned to Chief Short Bull of the Ogala Lakota College in a private ceremony held on October 3, 2009. The regalia included one pair of leggings, one tunic, and a pair of gloves.
Conn Electronic Dynalevel transferred from University Bands to the Sousa Archives, July 12, 2010.
Three boxes of administrative records consisting band conference and clinic programs, festival adjudications, Illinois commencement programs and band concerts, Marching Illini programs, ISYM programs, and WILL Radio broadcasts that were managed by Eldon Oyen while an Assistant Director of Bands. Files transferred to the Sousa Archives on April 20, 2012.
Acquisition Source: University Bands
Acquisition Method: Transfer.