University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Office of Instructional Resources | University of Illinois Archives
As recommended by the Executive Vice President and Provost and approved by the Board of Trustees on June 17, 1964, the Office of Instructional Resources was created to replace1 the Office of Instructional Research begun in 19612 and Office of Instructional Television begun in 1959.3 The new office was to enlarge the scope of its predecessors by coordinating assistance to faculty in the newer techniques and media, and by researching the relationship of academic achievement with the characteristics of the students, instructional program, and extracurricular environment as contrasted with increasing student enrollments, static funds and restricted faculty growth.4 Divisions evolved in the Office for accomplishing the goals. First was the division of Testing and Research in 1964-655 which expanded to the divisions of Measurement and Research, Instructional Materials, Television and Programmed Instruction in 1965-66.6 Programmed Instruction was dropped in 1966-677 and replaced with Course Development in 1967-688 which makes up the current organization.9
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 52nd Report, June 17, 1964, p. 1245.
2. Ibid., 51st Report, June 21, 1961, p. 540.
3. Ibid., 50th Report, February 19, 1959, p. 295.
4. Ibid., 52nd Report, June 17, 1964, p. 1244-1245.
5. Staff Directory, 1964 - 1965, p. xxxiii.
6. Ibid., 1965 - 1966, p. xxxiii.
7. Ibid., 1966 - 1967, p. 35
8. Ibid., 1967 - 1968, p. 16.
9. Ibid., 1976 - 1977, p. 23; Instructional Materials is now called Instructional Media.