University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Animal Science | University of Illinois Archives
The Animal Science Department traces its origins to the Animal Husbandry Division of the Agriculture College which was established in 1895. 1 Animal Husbandry's curriculum was revised in 1899, 2 and the Department was organized in 1903.3 In 1908 a committee of the Board of Trustees recommended the establishment of a Veterinary College.4 The Trustees changed the name from Animal Husbandry to the Department of Animal Science in 1947.5 The Department, in addition to teaching and research responsibilites, supervises the care and management of the University herds and flocks.
In 1985, the Dairy Science and Animal Science departments merged and formed the Department of Animal Sciences. It was decided that the merger would create a "consolidated and coordinated instructional program" that would be beneficial to the students. A new building would be built to house the new department and the merger would also increase efficiency in building planning. 6
This unit covers:
Animal Genetics Laboratory
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 18th Report, September 4, 1895, p. 159.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 20th Report, August 16, 1899, p. 139.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 22nd Report, June 8, 1903, p. 82.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 25th Report, December 8, 1908, p. 37.
5. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, August 5, 1947, p. 494.
6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 63rd Report, May 16, 1985, p. 268.