University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Language Learning and Media Laboratory | University of Illinois Archives
In July 1959, the Board of Trustees appropriated $27,000 for the construction and equipment of a language laboratory in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.1 It is located in Lincoln Hall and is staffed by a faculty coordinator and assistants. Succeeding years have seen the addition of new equipment. In 1960 and 1962 it was expanded to include more than one hundred booths, each equipped with a tape deck and amplifier, microphone and a stand and head set.2 In 1963 an additional thirty-two student positions were added with all needed equipment at a cost of $14,300.3
The Language Learning and Media Laboratory was incorporated into the School of Humanities when the School was established in 1973. The Laboratory derives from an earlier merger of the Language Laboratory and the Unit for Foreign Language Study.
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 50th Report, September 16, 1959, p. 971.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 51st Report, January 20, 1960, p. 1146; August 10, 1961, p. 657.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 52nd Report, May 15, 1963, p. 494; July 2, 1963, p. 715.