University of Illinois at U-C. Division of Disability Resources and Educational Services | University of Illinois Archives
The Rehabilitation Education Services program was begun at Galesburg in 1948 to provide physical therapy and recreation for physically disabled students and moved to Urbana when Galesburg closed in 1949.1 The Board of Trustees authorized the improvement of the Student Rehabilitation Center on July 25, 1953 and changed its name to the Division of Rehabilitation-Education Services on October 17, 1962.2 The division provides special facilities and services for students with permanent disabilities.3
1. T.J. Nugent, "Paraplegic Rehabilitation Program," The Galesburg Undergraduate Division--University of Illinois, pp. 129-30. Record Series 49/1/810.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 47th Report, July 25, 1953, p. 747; and 52nd Report, October 17, 1962, p. 182.
3. Undergraduate Study Catalog, 1965/66, p. 67.