University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Veterinary Clinical Medicine | University of Illinois Archives
As a result of a study of the organization and curriculum for the College, a four-year curriculum leading to a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree was formulated to be conducted by four departments, including Veterinary Clinical Medicine. In September 1948, the first class was admitted to the College.1 The first courses in Veterinary Clinical Medicine were not offered until the fall semester of 1950, as only juniors and seniors in the curriculum were eligible to enroll in them.2 The courses offered by the Department of Veterinary Clinical Medicine include training and clinical and laboratory practice in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of animal diseases.3
The Veterinary Medical Clinics consist of the Small Animal and Large Animal Clinics. The first Small Animal Clinic, constructed in 1904, became the Animal Pathology and Hygiene building when the Clinic moved into its new building in the spring of 1971. The Large Animal Clinic was constructed in 1955, and opened the same year.4 The Small Animal Clinic along with the Surgical-Obstetrical Laboratory was the first part of a Veterinary medical complex designed to provide expansion of the Veterinary medical facilities. The purpose of the clinics is to provide training for students and opportunity for resarch, while offering services to the citizens of the state.
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, August 5, 1947, p. 637.
2. Catalogs and Registers, 1949-50, p. 371.
3. Catalogs and Registers, 1950-51, p. 402.
4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 48th Report, November 23, 1955, p. 870.