Animal Diagnostic and Research Laboratory | University of Illinois Archives
A farm animal diagnostic service for Illinois livestockmen has been available on the Urbana campus since 1918. Originally an activity of the Animal Pathology Clinic, diagnostic service became part of the College of Veterinary Medicine at its creation on June 1, 1944.1 For many years, the Animal Diagnostic and Research Laboratory was an informal cooperative project between the University and the Illinois Department of Agriculture. A formal agreement for operation of the Laboratory was adopted by both parties on May 15, 1968, to regularize long-standing relationships and to provide a means for settling possible disagreements.2 Under the present agreement, the Department of Agriculture assumes responsibility for the Laboratory. It provides budget, staff and a supervisor. The University supplies the building and maintenance in return for use of the Laboratory and instructional use of specimens.3
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 42nd Report, June 1, 1944, p. 956-58.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 54th Report, May 15, 1968, p. 1032.
3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 55th Report, June 17, 1970, p. 953.