University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Veterinary Medical Clinics | University of Illinois Archives

Name: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Veterinary Medical Clinics


Historical Note:

<p class='main'>A free weekly clinic to which farmers could bring their animals and at which students could observe operations was provided by the Veterinary Department beginning in 1899.<a href='#ftn1'><sup>1</sup></a> In 1952, the name of the Veterinary Pathology Laboratory was changed to the Veterinary Clinic, in recognition of the exclusive use of this facility.<a href='#ftn2'><sup>2</sup></a> Both large animal and small animal clinicians practiced within this building.<a href='#ftn3'><sup>3</sup></a> Appropriations were made for the construction of a new veterinary clinic building in 1954.<a href='#ftn4'><sup>4</sup></a> The following year, the new building, located on Maryland Drive south of Pennsylvania Avenue, was named the Veterinary Medicine Large Animal Clinic.<a href='#ftn5'><sup>5</sup></a> The small animal clinic remained in the old Veterinary Medicine Hospital building on Taft Street.<a href='#ftn6'><sup>6</sup></a> In 1966, it was perceived that shortage of space forced a ceiling on veterinary student enrollments far below demand, and that the construction of new clinics should be undertaken to alleviate the problem.<a href='#ftn7'><sup>7</sup></a> A new small animal clinic was begun in 1968 and completed in 1971.<a href='#ftn8'><sup>8</sup></a> Contracts were assigned for the construction of a new large animal clinic building in 1972,<a href='#ftn9'><sup>9</sup></a> and the project was finished in 1976.<a href='#ftn10'><sup>10</sup></a> The old large animal clinic site became the Meat Science Laboratory.<a href='#ftn11'><sup>11</sup></a> According to the College of Veterinary Medicine, "The large animal, small animal and ambulatory clinic provide veterinary medicine services to the public and animal patients for the teaching of students in the third and fourth years of the professional curriculum."<a href='#ftn12'><sup>12</sup></a> The clinics charge patrons a fee comparable to that charged by local, private veterinary practitioners.<a href='#ftn13'><sup>13</sup></a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn1'>1.  Announcement, 1899-1900, College of Agriculture, p. 23.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn2'>2.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 46th Report, May 26, 1952, p. 1493.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn3'>3.  Student/Staff Directory, 1952-1953.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn4'>4.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 47th Report, July 25, 1953, p. 747.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn5'>5.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 47th Report, November 23, 1955, p. 870.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn6'>6.  Student/Staff Directory, 1956-1957.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn7'>7.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 54th Report, July 27, 1966, p. 29.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn8'>8.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 54th Report, September 20, 1967, p. 724; 56th Report, February 17, 1971, p. 220.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn9'>9.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 56th Report, May 17, 1972, p. 637.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn10'>10.  Student/Staff Directory, 1976-1977.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn11'>11.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 56th Report, October 15, 1975, p. 434.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn12'>12.  Long Range Planning Report of the College of Veterinary Medicine, 1971-1986, January 1970, p. 20.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn13'>13.  Ibid.</a></p>




Page Generated in: 0.089 seconds (using 34 queries).
Using 8.09MB of memory. (Peak of 8.29MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign