"I" Men's Association | University of Illinois Archives
The "I" Men's Association is composed of alumni who earned a letter in intercollegiate athletics. The Association was originally set up by the Athletic Association in 1944. The campaign for membership was launched in October 1943.1 In 1970, the administration of the Association was divided. The "I" Men's Association is directed by the Executive Secretary, appointed by the athletic director.2 The Association is administered through the University of Illinois Foundation but is repsonsible to the Board of Directors of the Athletic Association. The "I" Men's Association was estabished to support athletic activities, to promote and develop fellowship and scholarship, and to keep alumni in touch.3 The primary activities of the association are irregular publication of the "I" Directory4 the twice yearly publication of the Illini Lettermans Directory5 and an annual meeting of its members. A president is elected each year from the membership. He and a six-man Board of Directors meet once a year with the Executive Secretary.
1. "The Illini Lettermans Letter", "I" Men's Association, February 1, 1944, RS 28/20/0/5.
2. "I" Men's Directory 1971, "I" Men's Association, RS 28/20/0/1.
3. U of I Mens Honor Roll. Report of Gifts by the "I" men to U of I. Report 15, June 1967.
4. "I" Men's Directories, RS 28/20/0/1.
5. Illini Letterman's Letter, 1944- , RS 28/20/0/5.