University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Extramural Courses Program | University of Illinois Archives
The Extramural courses program began in 1936 when courses for graduate credit were offered in Education at Southern Illinois Normal University and in Civil Engineering for a group of practicing engineers in Chicago.1 In 1937 graduate courses were added in Political Science and undergraduate courses were offered to provide educational opportunities for those people unable to attend a university.2 Physical Education courses were first offered in 19443 and non-credit course offerings at industries, organizations and institutions around the state began in 1945.4 Called the "Extramural Service" in 1946, classes are now developed by the University through its field representatives or by request of groups. Credit courses from the official catalog are offered, as well as non-credit and intensive short courses designed for specific situations.5
1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 38th Report, May 27, 1936, pp. 754-56.
2. Catalogs and Registers, 1936-37, pp. 351-52.
3. Ibid., 1944-45, p. 425.
4. Ibid., 1945-46, p. 472.
5. Ibid., 1946-47, p. 467.