University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Health Sciences Division | University of Illinois Archives

Name: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Health Sciences Division


Historical Note:

<p class='main'>The first Health Officer of the University was appointed in September 1916 to administer medical examinations to students and staff and Civil Service examinations to prospective University employees.<a href='#ftn1'><sup>1</sup></a> His first office, at 1210 Springfield Avenue, Urbana, was moved a few months later to the Men's Old Gymnasium.<a href='#ftn2'><sup>2</sup></a> In 1919 the Department of Hygiene and Public Health was created (its duties to include classroom instruction), headed by the Health Officer;<a href='#ftn3'><sup>3</sup></a> it was housed in the President's former house at Green and Wright Streets.<a href='#ftn4'><sup>4</sup></a> Beginning in 1923 the Department was listed as the University Department of Hygiene and Public Health.<a href='#ftn5'><sup>5</sup></a> In 1932 the Departments of Physical Education for Men and for Women and the University Department of Hygiene and Public Health (thereafter known as the Department of Health Service) were combined to form the School of Physical Education.<a href='#ftn6'><sup>6</sup></a> McKinley Hospital was placed under the administration of the Health Officer in 1938.<a href='#ftn7'><sup>7</sup></a> In 1943 the office of Dean of Students was formed, and the University Health Service was placed under his jurisdiction.<a href='#ftn8'><sup>8</sup></a> In 1947 the Department moved to Davenport House.<a href='#ftn9'><sup>9</sup></a> Health services of all campuses were consolidated in 1952 under the Director of Health Services.<a href='#ftn10'><sup>10</sup></a> In 1957 leadership was divided between a Medical Director of the Health Services and an Administrator of the Health Services.<a href='#ftn11'><sup>11</sup></a> The Department of Health Services moved to a new wing of McKinley Hospital in 1962.<a href='#ftn12'><sup>12</sup></a> McKinley Hospital and the Department of Health Services were combined as the McKinley Health Center in 1970.<a href='#ftn13'><sup>13</sup></a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn1'>1.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 29th Report, July 21, 1916, p. 65.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn2'>2.  University of Illinois Health Service, 34th Report, 1949-50, p. 1.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn3'>3.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 30th Report, August 15, 1919, p. 511; Catalogs and Registers, 1919-20, p. 14, 346.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn4'>4.  Catalogs and Registers, 1932-33, p. 47.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn5'>5.  Ibid., 1923-24, p. 12.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn6'>6.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 36th Report, June 11, 1932, p. 609.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn7'>7.  Ibid., 40th Report, October 17, 1938, p. 113.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn8'>8.  Ibid., 42nd Report, August 31, 1943, p. 495.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn9'>9.  University of Illinois Health Service, 34th Report, 1949-50, p. 1.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn10'>10.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 48th Report, July 20, 1955, p. 461; 47th Report, July 16, 1952, p. 4.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn11'>11.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 49th Report, June 20, 1957, p. 450; July 16, 1957, p. 513.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn12'>12.  University of Illinois Health Services, Annual Report, 1962-63, p. 2.</a></p>

<p class='note'><a name='ftn13'>13.  Board of Trustees Transactions, 56th Report, July 22, 1970, p. 16.</a></p>




Page Generated in: 0.095 seconds (using 34 queries).
Using 8.09MB of memory. (Peak of 8.29MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign