University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. McKinley Hospital | University of Illinois Archives
McKinley Hospital, a gift of Senator William B. McKinley, was erected in 1925 to serve University students and faculty.1 The general administration of McKinley was charged to an executive staff of three, nominated annually by the President of the University.2 In 1935 the policy requiring annual renewal of executive staff nominations was altered; thereafter appointments remained in effect until further notice.3 In 1938 the general administration of McKinley was placed under the jurisdiction of the University Health Officer.4 The first addition to the Hospital was constructed in 1939.5 In 1943, when the office of Dean of Students was created, McKinley Hospital was placed under his jurisdiction.6 In 1952 the University health services were reorganized, and McKinley was placed under the newly appointed Director of Health Services.7 McKinley Hospital and the Department of Health Services were combined as the McKinley Health Center in 1970.8 See also Record Group 33/3.
1. Catalogs and Registers, 1925-26, pp. 47-48.
2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 33rd Report, April 8, 1925, p. 196.
3. Ibid., 38th Report, October 25, 1935, p. 432.
4. Ibid., 40th Report, October 17, 1938, p. 113.
5. Catalogs and Registers, 1944-45, p. 70.
6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 42nd Report, August 31, 1943, p. 495.
7. Ibid., 48th Report, July 20, 1955, p. 461; University of Illinois Health Services, Annual Report, 1962-63, p. 2.
8. Board of Trustees Transactions, 56th Report, July 22, 1970, p. 16.