Horticulture Building showing gate | University of Illinois Archives
Photograph of the Horticulture Building, now the Surveying Building, as seen from the east, featuring the iron gates and fence. Plaques on the gates read "Horticultural Grounds".
From the verso:
"Hort. Bldg showing gate
"Horse Stable and Tools also Hort greenhouse in back. Fence put there to keep out trespassers who stole melons, fruit, etc.
"Originally built as Hort. Service Bldg (1905). Remodeled for Civil Engineering, 1925. Hort Greenhouse in back, built in 1908. Later wrecked.
"Still standing on the South Campus facing East, is most of what was 1st known (1905) as the Horticulture Service Bldg., with greenhouses & tall stack at the back & surrounded by a fancy iron fence to keep out small boys & some not so small who would raid Prof. Blair's melon and berry patches & thus interrupt the Horticulture research. All has now been razed or moved further south except the main building which remains as a center for students in surveying."
Found in RS 39/2/20, BUI Surveying Building 1905-13
Original photo is 6" x 8"