Applied Health Sciences Dean's Office Subject File, 1936-2006
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Subject File of Deans King J. McCristal (1961-73) and Michael J. Ellis (1989-98) contains departmental reports; committee agendas, minutes and reports, correspondence and related materials concerning college administration, course outlines, Council on Program Evaluation (COPE) reports (1974-88), Dean's Student Advisory Committee (1974-83), elections and credentials (1981-83), Executive Committee (1961-93), facilities repair/remodeling (1961-67), faculty appointments (1961-66), faculty meetings (1962-66, 1985), fellowships (1965-77), gifts/grants/endowments (1965-75), Intramural Recreational Advisory Committee (IRAC) (1962-74), Mayshark Memorial Library Fund (1976-79), T. J. Nugent, (1956-82), Partnership Illinois (1992-97), PLATO (1972-75), Promotion and Tenure (1961-1992), Beckwith Hall Services Review/DRES (1991-96), Student Advisory Council (1970-75), Allen V. Sapora Symposium (1977), Task Force on Use of Facilities (1966-70), Visiting Professors (1962-71), Wheelchair Games-Rehab Activities (1976-83), and visit by Soviet sports scientists (1978).
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 16/1/1
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. College of Applied Health Sciences
Volume: 28.3 cubic feet
Acquired: 01/15/2014.
More information is available at http://archives.library.illinois.edu/uasfa/1601001.pdf (pdf)
Arrangement: Alphabetical
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. College of Applied Health Sciences :

In 1932, the Board of Trustees established the School of Physical Education with authority to award the degree of Bachelor of Science.1 In 1957, the Board changed the name of the School to the College of Physical Education, which included the Department of Physical Education for Men; Department of Physical Education for Women; Department of Health Service; Department of Recreation, two divisions, a bureau and two clinics. It offered masters and doctoral degrees.2 In 1968, the staff and program in Dance was transferred to the College of Fine & Applied Arts as the Department of Dance.3 In June, 1975, the Board renamed the College of Physical Education as the College of Applied Life Studies.4 The College of Applied Life studies was composed of three academic graduate departments: Health & Safety Education, Leisure Studies, and Physical Education.5

In March, 2006, the Urbana-Champaign Senate approved a proposal to rename the College, the College of Applied Health Sciences.6 This was done to reflect the College's research, instructional, and outreach programs as well as the structure of the College, which included the three departments that follow: the Department of Kinesiology and Community Health; the Department of Recreation, Sport and Tourism; and the Department of Speech and Hearing Science. The stated mission of the College is "to advance research, instruction and public engagement that promotes the development of healthy, livable communities, facilitates optimal living with disability and promotes health and wellness across the lifespan and throughout a diverse society."7

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 36th Report, June 11, 1932, p. 609.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 49th Report, June 20, 1957, p. 434-35.

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 55th Report, July 24, 1968, p. 8.

4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 58th Report, June 18, 1975, p. 310.

5. Graduate Programs Catalog, 1980-82, p. 18.

6. Urbana-Champaign Senate Meeting Minutes, April 24, 2006, RG 4/2/1.

7. Urbana-Champaign Senate Meeting Minutes, March 27, 2006, RG 4/2/1.

Subject Index
Council on Program Evaluation (COPE)
Faculty
Fellowships
Grants
PLATO (Programmed Logic for Automatic Teaching Operations)
Students with Disabilities
Visitors
Wheelchair Athletics
Acquisition Notes: Applied Health Sciences, Penny Nigh