Departmental Subject File, 1932-69
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Departmental Subject File, including correspondence, memoranda, minutes, directories, reports and lists relating to the service of the department head on the Division of Biological Sciences Committee, Communications Research, Education, equipment, Extension, honors (1939-41, 1951-61), Library (1949-62), majors (1932-61), property inventory 91953-59), space (1948-51, 1957-62), building plans (1964-66), psychological clinic (1948-51), organization, staff and history, committee on graduate student affairs, departmental history (1925-55), Lily Foundation Advisory Board (1965), departmental meetings (1950-58), National Academy of Sciences, Division of Behavioral Sciences, departmental organization, organizational sciences committee (1967-69), Psi Chi at Illinois (1922-23, 1960) and Ad Hoc committee on use of public schools for research and training (1965-67).
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 15/19/1
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  Department of Psychology
Volume: 0.6 cubic feet
Acquired: 10/20/1966; 11/16/1966
More information is available at http://archives.library.illinois.edu/uasfa/1519001.pdf (pdf)
Arrangement: Chronological
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  Department of Psychology :

Courses in psychology began in 1891, after the Board of Trustees voted to establish a professorship of psychology in 1890.1 In 1893, Psychology, along with Economics, Philosophy and Pedagogy, was moved from the College of Literature to the College of Literature to the College of Science in an effort to stress the scientific aspects of these four subjects.2 The aim of this curriculum was "to furnish the student, largely by means of inductive study, a knowledge of the nature of mind, its modes of behavior, the forms under which it manifests itself, the laws according to which it unfolds and develops, and the influence of environment upon this development."3 In 1904, Psychology was formally established as a separate department.4 In 1907, Psychology was approved for a M.S. degree and as a minor for a Ph.D.5 In 1916 the first Ph.D. degree in Psychology was awarded.6 In 1935, Psychology was placed under the newly established Division of Social Sciences.7 In 1945, a M.S. in Clinical Psychology and in 1964 a major in Applied Psychology were added to the curriculum.8 In 1966, a Doctor of Psychology degree became available for those interested in service in Clinical Psychology rather than research and scholarship.9 After 1950, grants authorized extended research programs in the following laboratories:

--Psychological Clinic

--Personality Group Analysis

--Group Effectiveness Research Laboratory

--Child Behavior Laboratory (1967)

--Training Research Laboratory

--Community Psychology Action Center

--Psychological Development Laboratory

--Children's Center Preschool (1967)

1. Catalogue & Register, 1891-92, pp. 18, 115; Board of Trustees Transactions, 16th Report, September 9, 1890, pp. 20, 32.

2. Catalogue & Register, 1891-93, p. 119; 1893-94, pp. 62-65.

3. Ibid., 1893-94, p. 65.

4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 22nd Report, June 6, 1904, p. 292.

5. Ibid., 24th Report, June 10, 1907, p. 133.

6. Ibid., 28th Report, June 13, 1916, p. 959.

7. Ibid., 38th Report, April 20, 1935, p. 161.

8. Ibid., 43rd Report, March 13, 1945, p. 407; 53rd Report, December 16, 1964, p. 271.

9. Ibid, 53rd Report, May 18, 1966, pp. 1178-80.

Subject Index
Communications Research
History of Psychology
Psi Chi
Psychology Department
Genres/Forms of Material
Papers
Languages of Materials
English [eng]