Hennepin County Library Catalog Files, 2001-2002
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Bibliographic and authority control files of the Hennepin County Public Library as of February 2002 and October 2001, respectively, contains US MARC records for materials in the Hennepin County Public Library, including locally developed authority control subject headings developed by Sanford Berman and catalogers working under his direction.  Files are held on a networked server and backed up to tape and CD-ROM.  The files may be browsed by following the link below.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 35/2/56
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Technical Departments
Volume: 0.1 cubic feet
Acquired: 5/22/2003
Arrangement: by type of file (bibliographic and authority control)
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Technical Departments :

Acquisitions, cataloging, serials, and special languages are the technical departments of the Campus Library. Together with their divisions, such as binding, photographic services, gift and exchanges, and documents, the departments order, receive, organize, and prepare library material. In 1897, the Catalog Department was formed, with the responsibility for classifying and cataloging all books acquired to make them available for users. In 1904, an Order Department was established for the acquisition of books. During the next thirty years, divisions developed within these two departments. The Catalog Department included general cataloging, serials cataloging and card divisions. The Order Department had purchase, gift and exchange and periodicals divisions. Acquisitions procures western language monographs, and the cataloging department arranges them for use. Except for newspapers, western language serial publications are handled by the serial department. Non-Roman alphabet serials and monographs are responsibility of the special languages department and its three divisions; Far Eastern, South and West Asian, and Slavic.1 All the technical departments grew out of cataloging and ordering activities that, in 1916, formed three departments: binding, order, and catalog.2 In 1942, the order department received the new designation of acquisitions. Its responsibilities covered photographic services and binding.3 In 1955, several activities of the catalog and acquisitions department were detached and combined to set up the serials department. Its chief tasks have to do with the obtaining, cataloging, and classifying printed matter published at intervals.4 In 1964, the special languages department was established.5 In 1966, the Automation Division of the Serials Department was formed.

1. Library Annual Report, 1972-73, p. 3, 9; Library Annual Report, 1974-75, pp. 1-4.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 28th Report, June 30, 1916, p. 25.

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 41st Report, June 30, 1942, pp. 567, 1105.

4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 48th Report, June 30, 1956, p. 1403.

5. Board of Trustees Transactions, Supplement, 53rd Report, July 21, 1965, p. 163.

Subject Index
Library Automation
Library Standards
Library Technical Services
Genres/Forms of Material
Electronic Data Files
Languages of Materials
English [eng]