Department Histories, 1974, 1988, 1994
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: History of the Department of Dairy Science by Bruce Larson covers the period from 1902 to 1985, with an emphasis on the department since 1951. Topics covered include faculty, research, extension, management, breeding and genetics, teaching, awards, and theses. This series also includes The First Sixty Years: A History of the Dairy Science Department 1896-1956 by W.W. Yapp, and The Faculty and Their Foibles: The Department of Dairy Science, 1947-1969 (1988) by Glenn Salisbury.
Held at:
University of Illinois Archives
19 Library
1408 W. Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 333-0798
Fax: (217) 333-2868
Email: illiarch [at] illinois.edu
Record Series Number: 8/8/812
Created by: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Dairy Science
Volume: 0.2 cubic feet
Acquired: 6/5/95; 12/18/96
Arrangement: Chronological
Biographical Note for University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Department of Dairy Science :

The establishment of a dairy at the University of Illinois was first recommended in 1876 in the Head Farmer's report.1 In 1902, Dairy Husbandry was recognized as an independent department under the College of Agriculture.2 The Department of Dairy Husbandry became the Department of Dairy Production in 1947.3 In 1949, the name of the Department was changed again and became the Dairy Science Department.4 In 1985, the department merged into the Animal Science Department.

1. Board of Trustees Transactions, 8th Report, September 13, 1876, p. 202.

2. Board of Trustees Transactions, 22nd Report, October 25, 1902, p. 24.

3. Board of Trustees Transactions, 44th Report, October 30, 1947, p. 885.

4. Board of Trustees Transactions, 45th Report, April 21, 1949, p. 332.

Subject Index
Dairy Science Department
Faculty
Faculty Publications
Illini Nellie
Languages of Materials
English [eng]