By Maia Perez[Printer Friendly] | [Contact us about this collection]
Primary Creator: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Extension in Music
Extent: 3.35 cubic feet
Date Acquired: 09/19/0018
The Music Extension was organized in 1946 as part of the Division of University Extension. It did not have a full-time director until 1948. In 1962 the Section was reorganized, its name changed to Extension in Music, and greater emphasis put upon "educational quality." The Section is largely administrative, and cooperates with the Music School, the University Band and local and state organizations, such as the Illinois Arts Council, to bring music, music education and education in the teaching of music wherever they are needed.1 Extension in Music conducts extramural credit and non-credit classes, clinics, workshops, and demonstrations on the Urbana campus and all over the state for professional musicians school music educators. It provides consultation services for community and school music projects. It administers research projects and conducts curriculum surveys in an effort to improve music education. It publishes musical compositions and bulletins to keep people informed about what is going on in music.2 Music Extension administered the annual All-State Music Activity, a music competition for elementary and high school students until 1962 when the Illinois High School Association took over the competition.3 In 1949 Music Extension started the annual Illinois Summer Youth Music Camp, two four-week camps held on the Urbana campus for junior and senior high school students. Since the 1962 reorganization of the Section and the greater concern for quality, the camp has sought talented children.4 Extension in Music provides audio-visual material to schools for music education. Since 1966, when it took over sponsorship of Youth Audiences, Incorporated, a national program, it has provided live concerts for young Illinoisans.5 In 1973 the University-wide Division of University Extension was reorganized, and the Office of Continuing Education and Public Service was created on the Urbana campus to handle the sections transferred to local campus control, among them the Extension in Music.6
1. Helen Farlow, History, The University of Illinois Division of University Extension, 1933-1968, A Progress Report, RS 31/1/0/4, p. 37.
2. "Coming Events, 1966-67," Extension in Music announcement, RS 31/11/0/2.
3. Farlow, p. 37.
4. Farlow, p. 37; "Summer is Icumen In," Extension in Music and Illinois Summer Youth Music Camp announcement for 1968, RS 31/11/0/2.
5. Farlow, p. 37.
6. Board of Trustees Transactions, 57th Report, March 21, 1973, pp. 183-84; July 18, 1973, p. 326.
Acquisition Source: School of Music Administrative Office
Acquisition Method: Transfer