Phi Lambda Upsilon Archives

Phi Lambda UpsilonPhi Lambda Upsilon is a National Honorary Chemical Society founded in 1899 at the Noyes Laboratory at the University of Illinois. It was the first honor society dedicated to a single scientific discipline. Beta Chapter was established at the University of Wisconsin in 1906. Five more chapters were chartered prior to June 29, 1911, the date of the convention at Indianapolis at which the national society was organized. Phi Lambda Upsilon now comprises 75 chapters and more than 60,000 members.

The aims and purposes of the Society are summarized in its constitution: to promote high scholarship and investigation in all branches of pure and applied chemistry. Throughout its history, Phi Lambda Upsilon has been consistently devoted to its objectives as an Honor Society.

Phi Lambda Upsilon in the Archives

Archival records include constitutions, bylaws, history and activities booklets, ritual manuals, membership records on microfilm, correspondence of officers, national convention minutes, chapter letters, chapter correspondence files and petitions for membership, chapter site information, convention files, photographs and tapes, honorary membership files and minutes books of Delta Chapter at the University of Michigan,  photographs of conventions and individuals.

Please visit the Archives database for detailed information on the contents of the Phi Lambda Upsilon Archives.

 

  • Search Collections

  • Location

    Horticulture Field Laboratory
    Archives Research Center
    1707 S. Orchard St.
    Urbana, IL 61801

  • Hours

    M,T,TH,F: 8:30am-12pm
    and 1-5pm
    W: 10am-12pm and 1-5pm

  • Contact Us

    Email: Ellen Swain at eswain@illinois.edu
    Phone: (217) 333-7841

Staff Resources | Log in