Material should be transferred in the order which the creator maintained it. A transmittal form briefly identifying the material and describing the activity and ALA Unit to which it relates should accompany the shipment. Please contact the Archives to alert us to impending arrivals of material.
Items to be transferred include:
- Official records: constitutions, by-laws, minutes, transcripts, rosters, etc.
- Office files: correspondence, memoranda, and subject files concerning office activities
- Historical files documenting policies, decisions, committee reports, questionnaires
- Publications: one record copy of all programs, journals, monographs, newsletters, brochures, posters and announcements
- Audio-visuals: photographs and sound recordings
- Personal papers of members which relate directly to association work; for personal papers not directly related to ALA work, please consult the Archives prior to transfer
- Charts and maps
Records that should not be transferred include:
- Records of specific financial and membership transactions
- Letters of transmittal where the date and routing information is on the document transmitted
- Requests for publications or information after the requests have been filled
- All blank forms and unused printed or duplicated materials
- All duplicate material: keep only the original copy and annotated copies
- Papers, reports, work papers and drafts of published materials
- Replies to questionnaires if the results are recorded and preserved in the archives or a published report
These criteria are intended as a general guide. If there are questions about the retention or disposal of specific records, please contact the University of Illinois Archives at (217) 333-7841.
Materials should be sent to:
University of Illinois Archives Research Center
Room 105, Horticulture Field Lab
1707 South Orchard Street
Urbana, IL 61801
Phone: (217) 333-7841