Acceptable methods of transferring electronic materials to the Student Life & Culture Archives include both electronic and storage device delivery. It may be necessary to convert certain files to a format more accessible to Archives’ users. Early consultation with the Archives is strongly encouraged for all such materials.
- Scanned Images: TIFF, PNG, GIF, BIIF, and PDF
- Data and Databases: XLS, XSLS, ODX, DB, FP7, MDF, and MDB
- Digital Photographs: TIFF, JFIF, JPEG, and BMP
- Web: HTML, TIFF, and PDF
- Email: including email attachments
- Audio-visual: MP3, AVI, WAV, MPEG-4, and AAC may require specific software that must accompany the records. Please contact the Archives for further information.
- Text: DOC, DOCX, ODF, ODT, TXT, PDF
- Presentation Materials: PPT and ODP
Storage Device Delivery
Preferred physical devices for the delivery of records in electronic format include:
- USB Flash Drive or Thumb Drive
- Memory card
- DVD-R/W for audio; DVD-R/W for film is currently accepted on a limited basis. Please contact the Archives for further information.
- Floppy disk
CD-ROMs and DVD-R/W should be appropriately labeled. Information should include the creator name, dates, and a description of the contents. Place USB flash drives, hard-drives, memory cards, and floppy disks in an envelope labeled with identifying information.
The Archives also accepts records through the following electronic methods:
- Email: files and folders must relatively small in size
- UofI Box: email Denise Rayman@illinois.edu for instructions.